This is a great slice to make at the weekend for the following week’s breakfast. It’s really filling and full of delicious flavours. It’s great for when you’re in a rush in the mornings as it holds together really well and can be eaten on the go. It’s also great for lunch boxes.
It’s also very versatile so you could replace the blueberries with chunks of apple instead. If you don’t have apple juice, just use water or fresh orange juice to soak the dates.
We eat a slice of this for breakfast with a small smoothie.
• 1 cup dates
• 1½ cups apple juice
• 3 cups rolled oats
• ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• 1½ tbsp baking powder
• 2 ripe bananas
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup frozen blueberries
• ½ cup walnuts
• In a small bowl, soak the dates in the apple juice for 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°. Line a 9 × 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, making sure the sides are covered. Cut slits in the corners of the paper so that it overlaps and lies flat.
• In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the rolled oats with the cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder. Mix and set aside.
• Place the remaining 1 cup of rolled oats, the bananas, and the vanilla extract into a blender. Remove the dates from the apple juice and set aside. Strain the juice, add it to the blender, and blend until creamy.
• Add the dates to the blender, and pulse a few times until the dates are in small pieces.
• Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix well. Stir in the blueberries and walnuts.
• Using a spatula, pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving or cool completely and store in the fridge.