We have hummus pretty much every day. I use it as a spread on wraps for hubby’s lunch, the kids have it in their lunch boxes and I have it with quinoa bread.
This recipe is so good, you’ll be making it every week like us! Plus there’s no oil in it so you can eat as much as you like. Chick peas are so versatile and will go with anything! Instead of carrots, you can use cooked orange kumera, or cooked beetroot.
We love garlic, but if you don’t then reduce the amount you put in. Whatever flavour you like, play around with the spices to get it just right.
It’ll keep in the fridge in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
3 medium carrots, chopped
1/4 cup of water from boiled carrots
1 can of reduced salt chick peas or 1.5 cups of dried chick peas (cook them first!!)
1 tbsp tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
• Chop the carrots and boil in a covered saucepan
• Once they’re cooked, drain the carrots but save the water. Put the cooked carrots in a food processor and pulse a few times to break them down.
• Drain and rinse the chick peas. Save the aquafaba for making mayo!
• Add the chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder and some carrot water to the food processor with the carrots. Pulse, slowly adding some water until smooth and its reached your desired thickness. You may have to scrape down the sides a couple of times.
• Taste as you go and adjust the flavour as needed.
Serve straight away or keep in the fridge for later.