I made this curry by accident a few weeks ago. It was the day before shopping day and our veg box delivery from Food Together New Plymouth. My fridge and cupboards were pretty bare, it was 3.30pm and I was stressing about what to cook for dinner.
I just threw some onions, carrot, potatoes and chick peas into a pot with some veg stock, a few spices and a can of coconut cream at the end. I was expecting everyone to say how it wasn’t as nice as the other meals we’d been having, but hubby and the kids all asked for more!! And so the one pot curry was born.
It’s evolved a bit now as I’ve played with the flavours, but it’s still really simple and you don’t have to stand next to the stove stirring every 5 minutes.
We don’t have this with rice because of the potatoes, but you could leave them out and serve the curry with brown rice if you wanted. We love that this curry has lots of sauce and it’s bright and flavoursome.
This will work with any vegetables you have to hand.
I now make 2 pots of this; one with the ingredients below and the other I add some red curry paste for hubby and I. All 3 of our kids enjoy spicy food but we like our curry hot and spicy!
Serves 5 (2 adults, a tween who eats like an adult, a toddler and a baby) with leftovers.
8 medium boiling potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
1 brown onion, chopped
5 medium carrots, chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1 bag spinach, washed
3 cloves garlic, chopped (I use minced garlic from a jar)
1 veg stock cube or 1 cup of liquid stock
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garam masala
6 cups Water (approx)
- Put potoatos, onion, garlic, carrot and lentils in a large pot with the veg stock. Cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Add the spices and reduce the heat once it’s boiling. Simmer until the potatoes are soft but not crumbling and the lentils are soft. You might need to add a little more water at this point
- Add the cauliflower and let simmer for 10 mins
- Add the coconut cream, stir and add any more spices after tasting.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
We add salt to our own meals if it’s needed.
Enjoy and try not to burn your mouth!!