I’ve been experimenting with finger food for my 10 month old daughter. It’s been a bit hit and miss, basically because she’s a princess and wants to be fed. No matter what I tried, she had no intention of holding food for herself!
I’ve had so many fails in the kitchen and still do. I’m a perfectionist by nature so I find it hard when a recipe doesn’t work first time or meet my very high expectations. I’m lucky that the boys in my family love being guinea pigs for me. They love recipe testing and always make me feel good when they try and love my creations.
So imagine my surprise when I created these muffins; my toddler turned his nose up at them and my baby literally grabbed one from me and gobbled it up!
They’re really light, moist and easy to eat. I didn’t cook the fruit or veg first because my baby is into textures at the moment. You could cook and puree them if you like and add some extra flour; up to half a cup.
My eldest son loved them and asked if he could have them in his lunch box. I’ve stored some in the freezer for him. We found them quite sweet, but if you’re into more sweetness then add a tablespoon of pure maple syrup.
I always use silicone muffin holders. I find it so much easier to pop the muffin out of them. Also there’s no need to grease my tray.
This recipe is inspired by My kids lick the bowl.
1 cup wholemeal flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground linseed & 3 tbsp water mixed and left in the fridge for 10 minutes)
1 cup plant milk (I used rice milk)
2 medium carrots, grated
2 apples, grated
1.5 bananas, mashed
- Preheat your oven to 200°
- Prepare your flax egg
- Grate the apples and carrots. Mash the bananas
- Mix the dry ingredients together
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and don’t forget your flax egg! Mix well.
- Spoon into muffin holders. Fill them all the way to the top. The muffins will rise but will sink once cool.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the muffins are firm on top.
- They will seem a little under cooked at first but once cooled they do hold together really well.