Before we went plant based, we loved mayonnaise. I used to make my own, but it’s still not really a healthy food because of the amount of oil in it.
We are now in love with this recipe. Whether you want to call it mayo or cashew cream is up to you. Some people will say it’s a mayo because of the aquafaba, but it really doesn’t matter!
Aquafaba is the liquid that chick peas are cooked in. It doesn’t matter if you use dried chick peas or canned; just keep the liquid. It works as an emulsifier, but you can also use it in place of egg whites and make meringues and mousses!
The list of how you can use cashew cream is endless, but these are our favourite.
* on wraps or sandwiches
* on nachos, burritos, chilli
* on top of soups
* to dip polenta or potato chips in
* eating it straight from the jar!!
You’ll need a really powerful blender or nutri bullet to make this and to ensure the nuts are ground until they’re smooth. If you don’t have either of these, you could try a food processor and scrape down the sides after every pulse.
It’ll keep in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks, but it’s so good it won’t last that long!
* 1 cup of raw cashew nuts or pieces, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
* 3/4 – 1 cup of aquafaba
* 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
* 1 tsp onion powder
* 2 cloves garlic (or 2 tsp of crushed garlic)
* lemon juice to taste (I like 2 tbsp)
* 1/4 tsp of miso paste
* Add all the ingredients and half of the water to your blender
* Pulse a few times, adding a little more aquqfaba as needed to get a smooth texture and a consistency that you’re happy with
* Taste the cream and add more of the above ingredients to suit your taste
Store in a glass jar in the fridge.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes.